Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm twatting now

I've been avoiding it for a little over two years now, basically since I started my blog. Sure, I noticed everyone else was doing it but it didn't feel right to me, not yet anyway. 

But, sure enough, the time came, and like a teen girl wanting to shed her virginal status, I said yes. Still somewhat unsure, but convinced it was the next logical step in building my social media empire, I dove in. I'm now on Twitter.

I signed up, opened my account, and immediately started following people, as I was prompted to do by the friendly Twitter website. As with all social media, once you're in, a whole new world opens up. Of course, it didn't end there. I had to install a Twitter "follow" button on my blog, and get the mobile phone app as well.

I must admit, it's still a bit overwhelming considering I'm now on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, and have a few e-mail accounts to manage as well. Sometimes I feel like my head's going to explode. Too... much... information. 

Soon after joining Twitter, I discovered Twitter spam. A few hours after opening my account, I was notified I had two followers. Holy shit! Already! I am awesome! I soon discovered that my new followers had websites such as "oralsexpics.com", "xxx-vids.com", and "cumsalotinyourface.net". Somewhat deflated, I promptly blocked them. 

Of course. I mean, how can any legit followers find you instantly after joining? A lot of it is still a mystery to me but I get the basic concept. Regale your followers with witty 140-characters or less observations.

The irony is that, the more information I open myself up to, the more I feel paralyzed by the sheer volume of what's going on out there. It's like being everywhere, all at once. I wonder if that's what the inside of a mind reader's head feels like. That is some crazy shit.

I also have feelings akin to being back in the schoolyard, hoping to get picked for a game of dodgeball. Pick me! Pick me! Please, please, pretty please! Only the words have changed to: follow me! Follow me!  Please, please, pretty please! (DO IT.) Sorry, what? Subliminal messaging? No, I don't believe in that.

Anyhoo, so far I'm an awful tweeter. I've tweeted three times in the last seven days. I know, it's abhorrent. I'm still wrapping my head around the concept of sharing all the time. 

Generally speaking, I don't like people, and I'll only socialize in very small doses. On the other hand, I'm a writer, and I desperately want people to love me. (LOVE ME.) Oops, I did it again. 

Contradictory statements? Yes. I'm an artist. What do you expect?

** This whole post is a subliminal message... I just blew your mind, didn't I.

2 comments:

Anne @ The Frump Factor said...

You are so right about the "being everywhere at once" thing. What I notice is how this puts into stark relief the old writers' adage that there are "no original ideas." I'm hyper aware now of not wanting to do what everybody else is doing, or not wanting to accidentally steal an idea. (I've started googling my own jokes before making them! Seriously).

The only answer? Having an original voice, of course. I'm pretty sure you have that covered. Have fun on Twitter! (and don't look now, but I'm about to follow you).

Sassy Stylings said...

Thanks for the advice and support Anne! It's greatly appreciated :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails