Friday, November 6, 2009

Spiritual Accessories and Stephen Colbert

So I'm watching TV the other night. And I see this commercial, one of those "Call now to receive (fill in the blank)". This one was for some kind of crystal crucifix on a silver chain, and if you looked into the centre of the crucifix, the Lord's Prayer would appear. Obviously Christian. But the best part of this commercial was when they described the jewellery as a great "spiritual accessory". WTF?

I didn't realize my spirituality needed to be accessorized. I was unaware my spirituality was an outfit requiring bling. This commercial was disturbing to say the least, and as such, highly entertaining. When we heard the term "spiritual accessory", my boyfriend and I looked at each other in disbelief, as if to say: "Did they just say what I think they just said?" We're both bitter ex-Catholics so we got a good chuckle out of it. The tragedy is that someone, somewhere, is actually going to buy this product, and wear it to showcase their beliefs. 

Those crazy Christians. I guess since most of their actions don't demonstrate their beliefs, they need to wear stuff that does. 

And now for something completely different...* 

I came across this article in the New York Post online edition today that illustrates the brilliance of Stephen Colbert. Who else would dare put the kybosh on a Springsteen interview? LOVE IT.

* Thank you Monty Python

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails