Sunday, August 7, 2011

She lives!

Before I get to the story behind this post's title, I want to talk a bit about the wonderful game of golf. I never thought I'd be one of "those" people, you know, golfers. It was a little too hoity-toity, a little too mainstream for this artsy rebel. Well, I've basically sold out and don't have the energy anymore to be rebellious so I've taken up golf.

If there's anything I've learned so far it's that this game requires emotional fortitude because right now, I suck at it. My best game so far was actually my first game this season. From there, I got progressively worse. You'd think it would be the opposite. But as our golf instructor told us, golf is very counter-intuitive. I guess it's also counter-progressive too. 

It's the kind of sport you absolutely adore when things are going well. You feel accomplished and capable as you relish the natural beauty of the golf course. You feel you belong. However, when things start to go south, and you've lost your mojo, it becomes one of the most demoralizing exercises in perseverance. Gone is the sense of accomplishment, only to be replaced by utter despair and anger and it's almost as if you expect the golf police to come by and throw you off the course. "Come back when you can hit a straight shot, you flunky!", you imagine them saying. 

However, I'm not one to cower when faced with a hefty challenge and I will master this game. That pesky little white ball will bend to my will and I will be victorious. Mark my words, I WILL be victorious.

And now for something completely different.... (thank you Monty Python)

You know when you wake up in the morning and you go into your living room and find your cat sprawled on the floor, and you pet her a couple times but she doesn't move and it looks like she's not breathing and for a split second you think she's dead and your heart starts to pound and tears start rolling down your cheeks and then suddenly her little head perks up and she looks at you as if you've lost your marbles?

Well, that's what happened to me the other morning. You see, I have an old cat with a chronic kidney condition. She hadn't eaten in about a day, was quite lethargic and things were looking dire. Hence the immediate assumption that she may have passed away on my living room floor. 

However, Phoebe was still alive. So we called the vet and brought her in. Apparently, she had contracted a respiratory infection which was unrelated to her kidney condition. The vet gave her some subcutaneous fluids, a shot of antibiotics and got her to eat. If all went well, she would be better within about three days. It's about day two and a half and my cat seems to be on the mend. Yes, she still has her chronic kidney condition but she's perked up and is eating again. She's a tough old bird and is presently relaxing on our backyard deck.

Being faced with a cherished pet's mortality is not pleasant. I had to put Phoebe's brother down almost two years ago and it was one of the most difficult, heart-wrenching things I've ever had to do. However, Phoebe seems to have cheated death, at least for now, and my heart has been put back together.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails