Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Little Blackie - In memoriam

A few days ago, my boyfriend and I were watching True Grit (the Cohen brothers' remake) and I noticed something peculiar. (Spoiler alert!) Towards the end of the movie, the young girl's horse is forced to run to the very end of its physical capabilities in order to save her life, collapses and is subsequently shot by Jeff Bridges' character. 

I was beside myself. I told my boyfriend they should have called this movie Little Blackie, after the horse. Then it dawned on me. I was more upset about animals being hurt than humans. Sure, a few criminals in the movie got shot and one guy had his fingers chopped off but hey, that's how it was in the wild, wild west.  

But aim a gun at a horse's head and I'm apoplectic. That is an outrage, I say, an outrage! How could he DO that! What is wrong with people!

It reminds me of those Humane Society commercials where they show all these sad, abandoned and/or abused animals. If I even catch a glimpse of one of those animals, tears well up in my eyes and a lump forms in my throat. 

One time, I actually watched a whole story on one of the animals they rescued - a sweet dog that had been neglected and abused. He didn't make it but in his final moments, he was surrounded by love. I lost my shit, people. I was reduced to a sobbing, blubbering mess.

Mistreatment or violence involving animals = instant fury and most probably tears. Mistreatment or violence involving humans = Meh. Depends who it is. Depends on the situation. Somehow that just doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't I care more about humans than animals?

Maybe it's because animals are usually so much cuter than humans. They're furry and cuddly. Maybe it's because humans tend to piss me off. Animals, not so much. And who hasn't cried watching Old Yeller? Ok, I haven't actually seen the movie but I know what happens which is why I can't watch it.

I did cry when (spoiler alert!) Nate died on Six Feet Under. However, I suspect there was a much deeper, philosophical disturbance going on there due to the show's brilliant exploration of life and death and what it all means, and the fact that I had watched about six episodes consecutively. Damn you Alan Ball, and your crazy talent!

I also cried when (spoiler alert!) Buffy's mom died in Season 5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In a show  littered with supernatural deaths, the passing of Buffy's mom of natural causes was in stark contrast to the show's usual fare and was portrayed so poignantly and realistically. Damn you Joss Whedon, and your crazy talent!

Huh. I guess I do care about humans, sometimes...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails