Sunday, August 22, 2010

What goes up must come down...

My dearest Sassies,

I have returned from my vacation with tales of adventure and death-defying feats. 

My boyfriend and I often go trail riding in the Ottawa area. I was under the impression that this was "mountain biking" and referred to it as such. I found out that this is not quite the case. What we do is called "cross-country" riding which involves going uphill and downhill over gravel, dirt, roots and rocks, and is quite the aerobic workout.

We figured since we were "mountain bikers" that we'd try out single-track riding on a ski mountain in Maine. You know when you decide to try something and realize, once it's too late, that you kinda wish you hadn't? Like that time you innocently thought: "I'll just try heroin this one time" after you shot up? Well, this experience was kind of like that.

I should have known we were in trouble when the guy who sold us our lift tickets told us riding on the mountain is "pretty intense". I was a little apprehensive to begin with. His comment ignited my nascent terror. But I'm no quitter, no sirree. So...

 we proceeded to go up the mountain, on a chair lift, with our bikes...

It was at about this time that the tune "What goes up must come down" entered my mind. We have to come down this mountain, on our bikes. All traces of saliva disappeared from my mouth and my limbs felt weak. We get to the top and are handed our bikes by the very helpful staff. We consult the map, looking for the "beginner" trails and are on our way. 

Our first ride starts out ok, but then it slowly dawns on me that I'm right out at the edge of my skills and abilities. In other words, I'm scared shitless. This is so NOT like the trails at home. We discovered that all "mountain biking" is not alike. Barreling down a mountain is a little different than riding through the woods. 

It was quite a humbling experience. But we're suckers for punishment. Following numerous contusions and bruises from wipeouts, bike pedals colliding with tender shins and sliding down a particularly steep stretch on my ass, we decided to return a few days later and give it another go. 

I can't think of anything more exciting on a vacation than cheating serious bodily injury and/or death. Good times...

2 comments:

Beta Dad said...

Good for you! I've never done lift-served mountain biking (I always think of the descent as payoff for all the climbing), but I really want to. Glad you didn't die!

Sassy Stylings said...

Me too! Although being steeped in terror for an afternoon makes for a very relaxing evening as the adrenaline slowly drains from your system.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails