Monday, November 8, 2010

Errant ramblings of a morose mind - part deux

A deep-seated apathy of celebrity culture is settling into my consciousness these days. Is it because network TV, apart from a few scarce exceptions, is total crap? There's only so much I can watch involving cops, lawyers or doctors. I mean, really. No new ideas? We don't need a fecking new cop or legal or medical drama people. 

Is it because celebrity gossip has become so utterly banal and repetitive? Husband cheats on wife; actress starves herself to attain new heights of glory; actress goes to rehab; actress gets plastic surgery; oooh, look at the cute celebrity babies in overpriced designer crap; Andy Dick exposes himself while drunk; normal size actress on "baby bump" watch, etc...

Perhaps it's because I'm starved for quality programming these days. I feel like a lost puppy. I got my dose of Dexter last night but apart from Family Guy reruns, I have no TV to look forward to until NEXT SUNDAY. This is not good. Oh wait, America's Next Top Model is on Wednesday night. I stand corrected.

I haven't even seen any good movies lately, except for The Visitor, which I saw a few weeks ago. Richard Jenkins is DA BOMB. If you're wondering who that is, he played the deceased, senior Nathaniel Fisher on Six Feet Under. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, get a life already.

I suppose every writer goes through a "walking through the desert" period where ideas seem to elude us, and any trace of enthusiasm has been sucked dry by tawdry entertainment (ok, maybe that last part only applies to me). 

To add insult to injury, the Republicans have won back the balance of power in the House of Representatives in mid-term elections. To my American readers, I ask you: what the f*ck! Obama inherited a devastated US government following the eight-year tenure of the worst President EVER. Give the guy a chance! 

Add to all this an early mid-life crisis and you have a recipe for disaster. If I have to read another word about Lindsay Lohan in rehab, I'll... I'll... oh, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe binge on donuts. The world doesn't need another disillusioned, forlorn person on a sugar high. No good can come of that. Well, maybe that temporary feeling of euphoria as the sugar pulses through my veins would be OK. But after that, only madness and mayhem will ensue, a travesty indeed. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails