Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's on HBO?

For the past month or so, when there's jack shit on "regular" TV, which sadly, happens quite often, I now find myself asking "what's on HBO?". The fact that I now have this privilege is not lost on me. Sure, I've watched HBO shows when they came out on DVD after they'd aired, but I did not comprehend the awesomeness that is HBO (and the Movie Network - which also comes with our subscription to HBO) until we had access to these channels. Sweet mother of all that is good, I had no idea what I was missing. 

My boyfriend and I were on holiday in the Caribbean this summer and had American satellite TV in our room. This is when we truly discovered HBO, and realized that we must have it. Upon our return, we called the cable company and Presto! - for a few extra bucks a month, we have access to provocative, intelligent, hilarious TV shows. Commercial free! I now fully understand the acronym HBO - "Home Box Office" - no annoying advertisements, only kick-ass, totally addictive TV. 

Once we got the HBO hook up, I was a little perturbed because we'd missed most of the second season of True Blood and I thought we'd have to wait for the DVD release to see it. Not so, my sassies, not so. The Movie Network carries recent episodes of HBO and Showtime favorites such as True Blood, Dexter and Californication. When I found this out, I realized I would never leave my house again. It was like an orgy of fantastic TV. I could catch up on all my favorite shows. I didn't know where to start. It was sheer elation. DVDs had suddenly become so yesterday. 

In a few short weeks, we were all caught up on our faves. Now we've started watching new shows like Hung and Nurse Jackie. For the TV addict, it's like shooting heroin. One amazing show after another. 

Network TV should be ashamed of itself and the pointless drivel that regularly occupies its airwaves. Apart from some rare exceptions like 30 Rock (f*cking brilliant) and Glee, every other network TV show seems to be about cops and lawyers. ER ends and now there's a new show called Trauma? What the f*ck? It's an insult to my intelligence.

A show about a high school teacher with a big dick who moonlights as a prostitute to make ends meet - now that's original.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails