Monday, June 6, 2011

If I were into chicks...

Last summer, my boyfriend had the brilliant idea of listening to books on tape, or disc or whatever while we were on fairly long road trips. If you pick the right books, this is an excellent way to pass the time during a prolonged vehicular journey. We were recently on one of these aventures de la route and carefully chose our selection of audio books.

First up, Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life. As I'm sure you've guessed, it's about her sexual adventures, and there are lots and lots and lots of them. Unfortunately, Chelsea herself doesn't narrate the book but after a couple chapters, the actress who was seemed to adopt the same intonations as Chelsea and it was believable. 

When it comes to Chelsea Handler, it was love at first sight. The first time I saw her was in a YouTube video on a celebrity gossip site. She was interviewing Jenny McCarthy and they were dissing Paris Hilton. It was one of the funniest, most irreverent interviews I had ever seen. I was immediately smitten. Who is this Chelsea person and why haven't I heard of her? 

I then found out she had a TV program called Chelsea Lately which was a full half hour of irreverence. I liked this girl. She had attitude, was completely silly, and didn't seem to take herself too seriously. 

A few weeks ago, I got a full hour of Chelsea on Piers Morgan Tonight and the bewitching was complete. Not only was she funny, but this chick was smart as a whip too. Smart, hot and funny. If I were into chicks, I'd want to sleep with Chelsea. But I'd want to marry Tina....

Which brings me to our second audio book, Tina Fey's Bossypants. I don't even know where to start. It was so f*cking good. Funny, sweet, heart-warming, clever, intelligent. This woman, I love her. She touches on various topics from her childhood to Saturday Night Live to 30 Rock to motherhood with her unique gift of being so goddamn entertaining. 

Tina herself narrates the audio book which makes it that much sweeter. It's like having a conversation with her, albeit one way only, but still. It's like she was in our car, regaling us with her many captivating tales. Wow... that sounds really corny, but I can't help myself. When it comes to Tina, I gush. I think if I ever met her in person, I might pee my pants. But I'm willing to chance it since our destiny is to be BFFLs (said the crazy, obsessed fan).

I'm not really obsessed but Tina and I are destined to be soul sisters. Just sayin'.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails