Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Weighing in on the Letterman Scandal

You had to know I was going to comment on this one...

My boyfriend was the one who alerted me to this doozie - David Letterman admitting on air that he had affairs with some of his staff members because some douchebag threatened to expose him if he didn't pony up two million dollars. My jaw dropped as I looked at my boyfriend in disbelief. Not Dave. Not classy, funny, witty David Letterman.

Debate continues to surround this scandal, and everyone has an opinion. Of course I'm going to add to the discourse. Because I think I'm important. Whether that's completely delusional is not the point. But I digress.

Dave f*cked up. He f*cked up royally. Spectacularly. Sensationally. Stupendously. But - yes, there is a but. Dude faced the music, in front of TV cameras, and millions of viewers. I don't know if you've ever made a momentous mistake or suffered a complete lapse in judgement, but when this happens, our first instincts are to shut up and hide, maybe even deny we were involved or plead temporary insanity. But Dave taking responsibility for his actions, in such a public way, now that takes cahones.

I'm not condoning his behaviour - it was lecherous and totally insensitive, and man, do I feel for his wife. But what more can we ask of him? He's come clean, if only for the sole reason that he was being extorted, but still, he nipped it in the bud. And the guy who demanded a couple million from Dave in exchange for his silence is no better, exploiting the mistakes of others for personal gain. Although, I exploit the mistakes of others for personal entertainment. Mostly celebrities and stupid people. Does that make me a bad person?

Despite his highly questionable behaviour, David Letterman is a class act, and I can appreciate the courage it took to say "Hell ya, I fucked up" and still make people laugh. King of Late Night, you've earned your crown.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails