Friday, December 18, 2009

Baldwin bestows blessing upon NYU

My first blogging milestone: this is my 50th post!Woohoo!

I do a lot of bitching in this blog so when something good happens on the celebrity front, I feel I must balance out the bitch with benevolence. I adore Alec Baldwin. But I adore him even more after this. Alec has donated $1 million dollars to establish a drama scholarship at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. How cool is that? 

I've seen Alec in many movies but I really started to appreciate the full breadth of his talents when I watched him, on numerous occasions, host Saturday Night Live. I had no idea he was so comedically gifted. 

Then I saw him interviewed on Inside the Actor's Studio with James Lipton. Alec was one of the most entertaining guests that show has ever had. The way he was able to completely transform himself in a matter of seconds into any character, without inhibition, was astounding. Again, I was dumbfounded by how talented an actor this guy really is.

Then came 30 Rock, and that sealed the deal. Jack Donaghy is Alec Baldwin's crowning jewel. The delivery, the timing, the physicality, and his awesome chemistry with my girl crush, Tina Fey, make this one of my all-time favorite shows. 

All this makes me practically forget his earlier, more volatile days with Kim Basinger, and calling his daughter a "rude, thoughtless little pig". Hey, nobody's perfect. I'm not excusing his behaviour but I sense he's been through the ringer, big time, post-divorce. Kim strikes me as unstable. This is never good. 

On another note, Alec will be co-hosting the 2010 Academy Awards with Steve Martin. I think I just wet myself thinking of the ridiculously high comedic quotient of this duo. Kudos to the Academy for this judicious choice. Please use them wisely and often. The show tends to get seriously dull right around the time the host wraps up his/her opening spiel.

Here's one of the best segments of Alec on Inside the Actor's Studio. Awesome. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails