Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Generic blonde to marry pro athlete - déjà vu much?

My dearest Sassies, 

Since the holiday season is upon us, and numerous family events await me, after today, my posts may be sparse until early January. But do not despair. I repeat: do not despair! I will return as feisty as ever in the new year offering my insightful commentary on all that is pop culture and disappointing about human nature. 

Speaking of disappointing, with a big fat hint of irony, People.com reported today that Carrie Underwood is engaged to NHL player Mike Fisher. Hmm. Pretty blond will marry pro athlete. We all know where this is headed. Why do women marry pro athletes? Do they want to suffer? Hey Carrie, don't sign a pre-nup. That way, when Mike cheats on you and you find out, you can leave him and take him for all he's worth. Just sayin'.

Also replete with irony, an interview Tiger Woods gave on Larry King Live on June 10, 1998. When asked if he wanted to get married, Tiger said no, and that someday he'd have to "surrender" and take the plunge. His voice was heavy with reticence. Prophetic? Oh yes. It was all there,  even 11 years ago. 

So my question to Tiggy is: why the hell did you get married if you didn't want to in the first place? Sow your wild oats, be a pro athlete, live it to the fullest. Then, when you're like 40 or 45 and you want to settle down, you'll be happy about it. It ain't rocket science. And if you don't want to get married, then don't. Look at George Clooney. How many men envy his life? 'Nuf said. 

On that my Sassies, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tata for now!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails