Monday, January 17, 2011

Super awesome and super sucky Golden Globe moments

OF COURSE I'm blogging about the Golden Globes today. Was there really any doubt? This year, my boyfriend and I actually sat through the whole show - a rarity since it gets incredibly boring, incredibly fast. But I'm glad I did because now I can recap some of my fave and not so fave moments. 

Super-duper awesome Golden Globe moments:

1 - The red carpet pre-show: I think it may be more interesting than the actual awards ceremony. 

2 - Ricky Gervais as host. I love this guy. He just goes for it. Some of his jokes last night were met with resistance from the audience, such as his reference to certain prominent Scientologists being secretly gay. I cherished those moments. It was akin to an episode of Family Guy.

3 - Michael Douglas attending the Golden Globes cancer-free. To see Michael and his gorgeous wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones stroll down the red carpet hand-in-hand was a beautiful sight. It warmed the cockles of my cold, cold heart.

4 - Robert DeNiro's acceptance speech after being presented with the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award. Robert followed in Ricky's footsteps. Some of his jokes were off-colour, the audience hesitating to react. Needless to say, I loved it. He steered clear of a schleppy, smarmy, boring speech. It was thoroughly entertaining. Kudos to you Mr. DeNiro.

5 - Paul Giamatti's freakin' awesome shout-out to the city of Montreal and to Canada, calling it a "great nation". As a Canadian, this was a proud moment. President Bush didn't even thank Canada on Sept. 11, 2001 when thousands of American airline passengers were diverted to Canadian airports. Paul Giamatti - you f*cking rock.

6 - Steve Buscemi's Best Actor win for Boardwalk Empire. Ever since I saw Fargo, I've had a special place in my heart for Mr. Buscemi and seeing him win was indeed a fine moment.  

7 - Colin Firth's Best Actor win for The King's Speech. It's Colin Firth. Need I say more?

Super sucky Golden Globe moments:

1 - Any award that was given to cast members and to the show Glee. I'm sorry but the 2nd season of Glee sucks ass and in every category it won, the competition was WAY better. I was incensed, to say the least. 

Chris Colfer's win for Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Colfer's character this season has done nothing but whine and play the victim. All he's been good at is being thoroughly irritating. I loathe these types of "poor me" story lines, and to be rewarded for it reeks of victimhood worship.

Jane Lynch's win for Best Actress in a Supporting Role: As much as I adore Jane Lynch, her character on Glee is one-dimensional, hasn't evolved in the 2nd season, and wasn't deserving of a Golden Globe, not when she was up against Julia Stiles for a riveting performance in Dexter's 5th season and Sofia Vergara of Modern Family

That Glee won for best comedy/musical against the likes of Modern Family and 30 Rock is preposterous. Glee isn't remotely in the same league as those brilliant comedies. Dear Hollywood Foreign Press: get your head out of your ass!

2 - The Kids are Alright being placed in the category of "Comedy or Musical". Did the Hollywood Foreign Press even see this movie? It IS NOT a comedy or a musical, not even remotely close to being either of those two things. It's a DRAMA, people.

3 - Scarlett Johansson's hair. She looked like the Bride of Frankenstein. 

Ummm.... no.

All in all, a mildly entertaining evening. Of course, we missed a new episode of Californication last night, which should have been nominated for best Comedy/Musical, and its star David Duchovny, for Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical. But to compare Californication to the insipid Glee would defile its excellence.

Also, note to self: must see The Social Network.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails