Monday, January 4, 2010

Old News = Good News

Ola my Sassies! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. If not, I hope you successfully survived the holidays, and are breathing a sigh of relief that they're over. Normal life can resume once again, whatever that is...

I have not yet dipped my toe into the gossip-sphere since being wrapped up in the holiday season but have a few observations nonetheless. My boyfriend and I had pretty much watched all the new seasons of our favorite shows. Note to The Movie Network: where is Season 5 of Weeds? But I digress. Since having blown through all our options, I thought it might be fun to watch Six Feet Under again since The Movie Network decided to make it available for viewing.

Sometimes watching reruns can be tedious and disappointing. Not in this case. It was a revelatory experience, and exposed the dark side of my TV addiction. Once I start watching these episodes, I can't stop. Literally. I would stay up all night if I could. I tried, and failed. I made it to 1 am. 

I was reminded of what a freakin' amazing show this is. The sublime acting, the beautiful way in which it's shot that makes me want to move to Southern California, and the universal philosophical themes it explores. Damn, it's good TV. If you haven't seen Six Feet Under, it's worth the effort and the time. If you loved American Beauty, you'll adore this show - it was created by the same writer, Alan Ball.

Also noteworthy, on the way to a day of skiing, my boyfriend and I heard a discussion on a talk radio show about Tiger Woods. The question was: can he ever recover from this scandal? Duh. Of course he can, and he will. Why? Because collectively, we have an attention deficit disorder and a short memory. Once Tiger wins his next championship title, all will be forgiven. 

Sure, there may be snickers in the crowd, and the occasional tasteless joke but that's it. His fame can only increase. That it temporarily morphed into infamy will only ensure he remains a household name. The sponsors Tiger lost will return when they realize this scandal is old news and he can still play golf.
On another note, I have a biggest fan. I have arrived. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails