Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Do as I say to you, not as I say in an interview

I've never been a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt. Now, I think she's even more of a douchebag after reading this. The title pretty much says it all: "Jennifer Love Hewitt loves her body, wants a different one". First, she shares her infinite wisdom with young girls, telling them to love themselves as they are right now. Then, she goes on to say she would rather have a body like supermodel Gisele Bundchen.

WTF? This does not help, you fecking hypocrite! Either stand behind your statements to young, impressionable girls or admit that you hate your body and want another one. If Jennifer really loved her body, she wouldn't wish to have someone else's. She'd be perfectly happy with what she's got. 

I'm the first to admit that I don't love my body. I wish I did. It performs very well for me, and still looks quite youthful. People often assume I'm younger than I actually am. But a part of me simply cannot let go of the self-loathing. Maybe it's because I've never really known how else to be for the past 20 years. I was a pretty scrawny kid up until about 15. Then, things changed. Suddenly, what and how much I ate mattered. I started to put on some weight, and the body issues began. Looking at women's magazines made me want to jump off a bridge. They still do, sort of.

I remember leafing through a fashion mag once and it had an article on anorexia followed by an ad with a rail-thin model. That ad basically negated everything in the article. It was blatant hypocrisy. Eating disorders are bad but we only use models who look like they eat once a week. 

If we were serious about addressing body image issues, we would demand that models bear a much bigger resemblance to the average person and do away with these impossible ideals. We would also demand that Photoshop not be used whatsoever in fashion photography. I mean, let's get real.

The fashion industry would probably posit this rebuttal: but fashion is about fantasy and play, it's not about real people. To which I would reply: who is buying your shit?! Do you just make clothes for models to wear on runways and at photo shoots? I think not. If that were the case, you would be making far less money and the whole fashion industry would be relegated to some underground freakshow for clothes fetishists.

The power lies with us, the consumer, and right now, we're asleep at the wheel. We're simply accepting standards we didn't choose, driven by a money-hungry, consumption-obsessed culture. If we universally boycotted all fashion magazines until they changed their policies and views on who can and cannot model, you would see changes faster than John Mayer finding his next lay.

Just sayin'.

 Yeah, that's hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your readers and yourself might be interested in reading this blog: http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/

You always hear about the use of photoshop in magazines, but after seeing so many botched up jobs with skinny models, it really put things in perspective for me.

Like you said, it's not real, so why let it bother you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails