Monday, June 14, 2010

TV induced sloth

Dreams really do come true! On last night's Season 3 premiere of True Blood, we basically got to see all of Alexander Skarsgard, a.k.a. Eric the vampire, minus the full frontal. There is a God.

Disturbingly, my weekend consisted of pure TV sloth, interspersed with a pedicure and a trip to the grocery store to ward off starvation. My step-daughter and I watched hours of One Tree Hill (we're already at Season 6!), last week's episode of The Bachelorette, since we missed it and had to get caught up for tonight's new episode, and True Blood.

I don't recommend watching this much TV. When we had to go out into the real world to get food, my fine motor skills were slower than usual. There should be warnings about operating motorized vehicles after prolonged exposure to television watching. They could totally do a remake of that anti-drug commercial for TV: this is your brain / this is your brain on TV, and your TV brain would be covered in corporate logos and Cheetos. 

I have long tried to understand my television addiction but to no avail. It started out at a young age, with Sesame Street and Polka Dot Door. By age 8, I was hooked on The Dukes of Hazzard and Days of our Lives. I even tried to sneak in Dallas but my mother would catch me and send me off to bed 'cause Dallas was on past my bedtime. 

When I was 11, I dropped out of a film class that was given on Saturday mornings because I had to watch Miami Vice on Friday nights at 10 pm, and was too tired to get up the next morning. I had a major crush on Don Johnson at the time. Yes, that is how I rationalize it.

Then came Another World and Young and the Restless. I remember once, when I was about 13, one of my friends came over and tried to convince me to come out with her (it was a beautiful summer day) but I was terribly conflicted because I would miss one of my soap operas (I believe it was Another World). Sad, I know.

I can't even begin to list the litany of TV programs I've since been addicted to. Some good, some bad, some downright embarrassing. Of course, my addiction flourished and evolved as new technologies allowed us to capture what we might miss on TV while seemingly leading normal lives, like the VCR (remember that? Sure, I can go out! I'll just tape my show!), and now DVDs, PVRs, the Internet, and the newest "i" gadget. It's like sticking the needle right into my TV-starved vein. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails