Wednesday, October 20, 2010

School is for suckers! Why not become mayor of Wasilla, Alaska instead?

Back in the early 90's, the fabulously original and quirky TV show Northern Exposure made me yearn to discover the great beauty of Alaska, as well as its inhabitants. Of course, my zeal for such an adventure has waned since, and more so since reading this headline and  accompanying article on Popeater.com: Levi Johnston: I don't need to be qualified to be mayor. Click here for the full article.

If you're not aware of the latest Alaskan political news, Levi Johnston (Bristol Palin's baby daddy) announced that he is running for mayor of the town of Wasilla, Alaska. Yes, it is the very town where the illustrious Sarah Palin made her political debut. Now, I could refrain from pointing out the obvious but that wouldn't be any fun, now would it. 

Levi's statement about the irrelevancy of qualifications really explains a lot. I wondered, for the whole duration of his presidency, how someone as grossly incompetent as George W. Bush could be president of the United States for eight f*cking years. Well folks, if the woman who ran for Vice-President in 2008 didn't need any qualifications to be mayor, I'm guessing you really don't need any to be elected to the White House. It all starts at the grassroots level people, don't ever forget that. 

As Levi stated, the only qualification needed is to live within the city limits of Wasilla for a year before a mayoral election. So, if you want to be President, I think the only thing that really matters is that you were born in the good 'ol US of A. 

Don't get me wrong, I dig Obama, and I think he's a smart guy but from what I hear in the press and from Americans I've crossed paths with in my travels, he hasn't done a whole hell of a lot and, so far, has disappointed many.

Memo to Obama: you cannot reason with lunacy, i.e. a Republican. You cannot all try to get along. You have to rip out that weed from the roots and show no mercy. That's what good Republicans do to Democrats. Playing nice ain't gonna cut it. If people like Levi Johnston can run for mayor, without any qualifications whatsoever or a platform, for that matter, you are operating in a political free for all, where any whino can stake his claim. 

Then again, Obama notwithstanding, maybe you need to be someone with no substance and severe delusions of grandeur to survive in today's political climate. 

Come on, I have "mayor" written all over me. No, I won't shoot you in the face. God, I'm not Dick Cheney. ( A loud shot is heard.) Shit! I didn't think it was loaded.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails