Saturday, October 2, 2010

Glee fatigue

I hate it when this happens. When a really good, promising new show turns to shit. Glee had a great first season. Entertaining story lines, great musical numbers and colourful characters. Unfortunately, it's being crushed by the weight of its own success.

In its initial season, stories begat musical numbers. Now, episodes are built around songs or "themes". I watched this week's episode on our On Demand service and found myself fast-forwarding through most of the songs. A few lines of dialogue; then singing; repeat = zzzzzzzzzzz.

Glee got too big, too soon and is burning out faster than a two dollar hooker on payday. The characters now seem uninteresting; they've become caricatures of themselves. I blame the writers. I don't know what they're smoking but it's not the good kind. 

Lea Michele's character Rachel Berry was somewhat endearing in the first season. Now I just want to punch her in the face. Not to mention Lea now suffers from "lollipop syndrome" where her head is bigger than her body. Sadly, it appears that Lea caved to the pressures of Hollywood and has probably stopped eating altogether. 

Lea also performed the classic Britney Spears song One More Time and was dancing like she was made out of cardboard. Much to my surprise, it was awful. On the other hand, Heather Morris, who portrays dumb blond cheerleader Brittany rocked her Spears number. That girl can shake her thang and looks like a wo-maaan, if you get my drift.

Unfortunately, the writers are set on ruining her character. Brittany used to unleash a priceless zinger every once in a while, when we least expected it. That's what made her one-liners funny. Now, the writers cram as many as they can into one episode. Not funny. Desperate, more like. Which is too bad because I like this character. Or should I say, liked.

Artsy gay boy in "look at me, I'm gay" fashion = annoying; voluptuous black girl with constant sour look on her face = annoying; wheelchair-bound nerd = annoying; requisite slutty cheerleader = annoying; requisite bad boy jock = annoying. The writers need to transform these one-dimensional stereotypes into real people we actually care about. 'Cause I'll tell ya, right now, I don't give a crap. 

This show needs to be more story-driven and less focused on the bright spotlight placed upon it. Go back to your roots, Glee. Remember why you started in the first place because I think you've lost your way in the dense bog of sudden fame and fortune. Stop pandering and regain your artistic integrity. 

Memo to Glee writers: when in doubt, watch Once More With Feeling, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical episode (Season 6, episode 7). It will teach you all you need to know.

The one redeeming quality of this show is Jane Lynch. She's still funny and sassy and doggone it, I like Sue Sylvester. 

 Thank you Jane, for making me not entirely give up on Glee just yet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails