Monday, January 18, 2010

Top 10 Golden Globe moments

Like there would be any question about it... of course I watched the Golden Globe awards last night. Well, most of them. I skipped the last hour since 10 pm is now my self-imposed weeknight bedtime. It's a new thing I'm trying this year - adequate rest. But I digress. Back to the matter at hand. Here are my observations of last night's telecast:

1 - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ricky Gervais as the host. Every one of his bits made me laugh out loud. The man's got balls. I like that. He did not shy away from penis humour or from taking the Hollywood glitterati, not to mention NBC, to task. I don't ever want to know again what this awards ceremony would be like without him. 

2 - My girl crush Tina Fey did not disappoint. Best quote ever: "God is crying for NBC." This was her answer on the red carpet when asked about the rain. I adore this woman. 'Nuff said.

3 - John Lithgow wins best supporting actor for his guest appearance in the 4th season of Dexter. He was one of those nominees I was hoping would win. He creeped the shit out of me with his performance in Dexter, as I knew he would - it was a well-deserved win. Bravo, Mr. Lithgow.

4 - Michael C. Hall wins best actor in a dramatic series for his portrayal of the title character in Dexter. YES. I'm a huge fan of this brilliant show, and I've watched Michael be nominated numerous times and lose. He's incredibly talented and truly deserved this win. 

5 - Toni Collette wins best actress in a comedy for the United States of Tara. Hands down, no contest. My girl Tina was in this category as well but Toni pulls off some truly incredible shit in this show so really, it had to go to her.  

6 - George Clooney signing autographs in the rain. This guy is so classy. While the media pundits were trying to chase him down on the red carpet, George was signing autographs, sans umbrella, for his fans. Oh yeah, and he's organizing a telethon for victims of the Haiti earthquake. This dude is the shit. 

7 - Watching celebs smugly answer questions from the media on the red carpet. Like they're too good for this. Please. If it weren't for the media, you wouldn't be a celebrity! Sure, they ask totally retarded, irrelevant questions but they're your vehicle to international stardom. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

8 - Seeing Sophia Loren and Helen Mirren looking utterly ravishing. These women, they were breathtaking. Their dresses fit them like a glove. They had curves, you know, those female curves women used to have before this obsession with thinness. DAMN, they were hot. They take the "age" out of "ageing".

9 - Christoph Waltz winning best supporting actor in a drama for Inglourious Basterds. Yes, Brad Pitt was the "big name" attached to this movie, but Christoph Waltz was the glue that held it together, the one that sticks in your mind long after the film is over. Brilliant performance.

10 - Although I didn't see this portion of the telecast, I can attest that there was no other choice. The Hangover wins best comedy picture. I had no idea what to expect when I went to see this movie last summer. It was comedic gold, f*cking hilarious. No big names, just some gutsy, beautifully ridiculous performances and a good story. Who says you need A-list celebs to make a movie a hit. Story is what counts people, STORY.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails