Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic Fever

I was one of the infidels, the non-believers. Leading up to the start of the Olympic Games, I had about as much enthusiasm as a bag of rusty nails. I was more concerned about The Bachelor being preempted due to Olympic coverage. Sad, yes. Depraved even. 

My boyfriend and I tried to watch the opening ceremonies on Friday night. We lasted about 20 minutes. Then we couldn't take it anymore. The cheese factor was too high. 

Although, we were informed afterwards that K.D. Lang's performance kicked ass and brought down the house. I believe it, and I'm sad I missed it. Of course, in this day and age, I can always YouTube it. 

My boyfriend mentioned that Robert Lepage should have directed the opening ceremonies. I enthusiastically concurred. Had it been in Lepage's hands, I suspect the show would have been truly unforgettable. Alas, it was not meant to be, and according to my informants, apart from a few choice moments, the opening ceremonies were a succession of Canadian clichés. Yawn.

Following our abandonment of the official start of the games, I was firmly entrenched in my anti-Olympic attitude, a rogue citizen. Then, it happened. On Saturday night, as we watched the women's moguls final. I caught the Olympic fever. I was glued to the TV, entranced by these superb athletes. 

I skied down a moguls run at Mont-Tremblant in Quebec a couple weeks ago, and I use the term "skied" loosely. What took these athletes less than 30 seconds to descend took me at least 30 minutes, minus the aerial acrobatics. Although I'm sure it was entertaining for any skiers who happened to be around me as I attempted to negotiate these numerous, tiny hills. 

Then on Sunday night, we witnessed Olympic history being made as Alexandre Bilodeau won the gold medal in the men's moguls final. The cobwebs were dusted off my dormant patriotism as we watched the event unfold until the very end when yes, indeed, the Canadian had won the gold. The first one on home soil EVER. We cheered, our hearts filled with glee.

Then it was on to figure skating, luge, biathlon, cross-country skiing... I got sucked in. There's no escaping now. The Olympics are like the Corleone family: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails