Friday, February 12, 2010

Tina Fey in March Vogue

My girl crush Tina Fey is on the cover of the March issue of Vogue. Tina, who describes herself as a "normal girl" is, in my view, anything but. She has that rare combination of intelligence, razor-sharp wit and good looks. The more I watch 30 Rock, the more I appreciate the depth of her talent. 

It's so refreshing to see someone as engaging and accomplished as Tina on a magazine cover. Enough with these vacuous Hollywood barbies who lack both talent and intellect and whose fame is highly tenuous. Tina has earned every bit of it. 

As a playwright focused mainly on satire, this gal is my hero. To write in the insightful way Tina does requires a brain. Something which seems severely lacking in the female celebrities shoved in our faces day in and day out. The Jessicas come to mind - Airheaded Alba, Blank Biel and Simpleminded Simpson. 

Here are a couple of my favorite tidbits from Tina's Vogue interview:

A friend of mine recently said this: "Her existence is such a relief." By which she meant that women of a certain age who are cool, funny, and smart but who are by no means fabulous—who are in fact befuddled by much of what passes for fabulous these days—are relieved to see Fey celebrated as such. When I share this with Fey, she says in the most sincere tone imaginable, "That is such a lovely thing to say." She thinks it over for only a second. "I feel like I represent normalcy in some way. What are your choices today in entertainment? People either represent youth, power, or sexuality. And then there's me, carrying normalcy." Pause. "Me and Rachael Ray.

We need more normal.

I think women dress for other women to let them know what their deal is. Because if women were only dressing for men, there would be nothing but Victoria's Secret. There would be no Dior.

Come on. You know she's right. Think of how much money we would save if we didn't care what other women thought of our wardrobe. Men, they don't care. As long as it comes off easily. 

Click here for the full interview. It's definitely worth a read.

I love you, Tina Fey.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails