Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BAFTA Blunders

It is my assumption, and perhaps mistakenly so, that the British, in general, have taste. Following the awarding of the latest BAFTA film awards, I'm beginning to have my doubts about this long-held belief. 

The Hurt Locker won the award for Best Film, Director, and Original Screenplay. It won more awards but it pains me just to list those. My regular readers know how I feel about this movie. For those of you who are new to this blog, click here to get caught up. 

I have, in the past, disagreed somewhat with movie critics over minor details. A "you say potato, I say po-tah-to" kind of thing. But never before have I thought movie critics and fans alike have completely lost their shit and swooned over a film of such questionable quality. 

To add insult to injury, Kristen Stewart won the Rising Star award. Huh? I haven't written about Kristen in a while. For a refresher, click here. Kristen's acting is about as interesting as watching paint peel. What about Anna Kendrick? Much more deserving and shows ample promise. She's nominated for an Oscar! Hello? 

I can't possibly explain these odd decisions. Are people blind? Dumb? Masochistic? And these are the British no less! Land of sharp wit and keen observation! I am sorely disappointed in such erroneous choices. This does not bode well for the Oscars.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails